Congratulations: you purchased your home! It’s an incredible moment! Here are some important things to keep in mind after closing.
Related Reading: Steps to Buy a Home
- Store your closing documents in a secure place. You’ll need your settlement statement for your taxes.
- Sign up with the HOA. Most likely you have already paid for at least 2 months. Most HOA’s let you sign up and pay online.
- Have a community mailbox? Bring your closing document to your post office to prove that you are the new home owner and they will assign the mailbox to you.
- Need help unpacking or organizing your new house? Our friends at The Simple Sort provide whole house unpacking and organizational services.
- Change your locks or re-key. You do not know who had access to the keys to your home. Be safe and change the locks. Here’s a highly recommended locksmith that our past clients have been delighted with: Day Locks
- Re-program your number keypads.
- Rename your WIFI connection.
- Set up trash and TV services if you haven’t already done so.
- When the dust has settled, consider reviewing your home inspection again. Now is the time to address the items that were mentioned in the report but not fixed by the seller. The biggest threat to any home besides termites is water. Any water intrusion will lead to rot or mold. Take a close look at all the items that need to be caulked inside and out. Do all your downspouts have extenders to guide water away from the home? Finally, is the grading around the house appropriate?
- Don’t fall for the crooks. We might have mentioned it at closing: you will receive a letter that states that you can get a copy of your deed for $89. It will look official! If you need a copy of your deed call me or the title company and we’ll get one for free or for just a few dollars.
- Set up online mortgage payments (if desired and applicable).
- Keep an eye out for your final title policy from the title company.
- Ensure your homeowners insurance is set up if you own your home free and clear.
- If you are an independent contractor, submit new W9’s to all your clients so that they can get the appropriate tax documents to you.
- Did you move from out of state? Update your divers license and your car registration (you have 30 days).
At any point during your home ownership: if you receive a notice that your lender has changed contact your current lender first before changing your payment.
- Do you have any questions after we are closed? Any problems? Need a contractor? We are happy to provide any support you might need. Call 719-321-0800 or email email@example.com.
- You will also receive biannual value reviews from us. If you’d like to stay on top of what’s selling in your neighborhood, please let us know and we’ll set you up with a simple, monthly list of real estate activity in your neighborhood.
- Have some moving boxes to get discard? Let us know. We might be able to connect you with a client who needs them.
Your home is a huge investment: keep up with regular home maintenance:
- We will also send you an invitation to write a review help future clients. We depend on online reviews to build our business. It is our goal to provide superior service to you in the sale or the purchase of your home. If you believe that I have provided you with excellent, 5 Star service, please let others (and the world know). If you were not happy with your service PLEASE tell us so that we can make it right!