Southeast Colorado Springs is one of the smaller areas of the city. It is composed of a large population of military families due to its proximity to bases and the airport. The southeast is also where a small section of town (at the northern edge where it blends with Central Colorado Springs) consists of low-income households and a higher crime rate than the rest of the city.
As a result, there is a tendency to allow the struggles of this small patch of town to color the opinion of all of Southeast Springs. In general, many folks tend to overlook Southeast Colorado Springs completely. However, there are numerous positive attributes and beautiful communities.
To improve conditions in certain areas, the city of Colorado Springs and the El Pomar Foundation started a coalition to plan and oversee transformation efforts for those neighborhoods needing attention. In spite of less attractive areas, there are still many other clean, quiet, and safe communities.
Southeast Colorado Springs overlaps partially with the southern part of Central Colorado Springs. The Southeast comprises the area South of Martin Luther King Expressway(Hwy 24/Fountain Blvd.), West of Powers, East of I-25, and North of S. Academy (Milton Proby Expressway).
Harrison School District 2 covers all of Southeast Colorado Springs with 19 public and charter schools, including several top-rated schools:
- James Irwin Charter Academy: K-14 This school is named after the astronaut who called Colorado Springs his home. Academically rigorous with college prep as its focus. They also offer a program with a built in Associates degree associated with construction or manufacturing. Check out the link for all the great information on this highly regarded school.
- Mountain Vista Community School: K-8. Beautiful campus and considered to have the top middle school in the district
- Soaring Eagles Elementary School: K-6 Located among the newest neighborhoods, it has become a top-rated elementary school in the city. It is the only school in Colorado Springs to be designated as a National Blue Ribbon School by the Department of Education.
One great reason to live in Southeast Colorado Springs is the presence of two expressways that makes driving around town much easier than the rest of the city. Martin Luther King and Milton Proby expressways provide quick and easy access to I-25, Academy Blvd, Powers Blvd, and the Colorado Springs Airport – a HUGE benefit that shortens commute time.
Southeast Colorado Springs is appealingly situated between Fort Carson and Peterson Air Force Base. As a result, the communities here are ideal for military families. The houses closer to Fountain Blvd. are of solid construction from the 50s and 60s. As you travel a few blocks south, you enter the outer reaches of the city limits. Enjoy open views of the mountains and new construction in this quiet, yet convenient, area of town.
In addition to being favorably located for military personnel and their families, there is an abundance of new builds and town homes. These are charming communities with the look and feel of Northeast Colorado Springs but with a lower price tag. Even the new builds at one of the newest communities, Silver Hawk, seem to be a bargain at upper $200s for the price and quality of the homes. (Let me know if you would like to take a look!)
Overall, living in Southeast Colorado Springs is much more affordable than the rest of the city. Home prices range from just under $100k to the mid $200s. The average price is around $185k. Rental prices are also lower with much of the rent for 1 – 2 bedroom town homes and apartments under $1000/mo.
If you are someone who is looking to purchase property for the purpose of passive income in the form of rentals, this is most definitely the area of town you want to consider. With a large military need for temporary housing, the demand for rentals is high. Properties are very affordable which makes the initial investment much lower and the potential for multiple properties higher.
AMENITIES AND SHOPPING
Academy Blvd. is the main thoroughfare that runs from one end of town to the other. Shopping, dining, and multiple businesses are located along Academy and readily accessible from any neighborhood in the southeast. Also, the expressways make it possible to reach Downtown or the up-and-coming businesses and entertainment along Powers within a few minutes.
SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES
Southeast Colorado Springs is also home to several parks, sports complexes, and an activity center including:
- Leon Young Sports Complex
- Skyview Community Park
- Southeast and Armed Services YMCA (A stunning and affordable facility)
BENEFITS OF LIVING IN THE SOUTHEAST
Before you overlook house hunting in Southeast Colorado Springs, let me show you a few reasons to take a second look.
- Proximity to the Colorado Springs Airport (less than 5 minutes)
- Easy and quick access to either I-25 or Powers Blvd.
- Close to Fort Carson and Peterson Air Force Base
- Newer homes and communities for a much lower price than the rest of the city – i.e. you get much more home for your money.
- Fantastic views of the Cheyenne Mountain and Pikes Peak.
- Close to shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Significant presence of multi-family units (townhomes and apartments)
- Great area to consider for those on a tight budget.
- Investment property for rentals.
- I just have to say it again…more home for your money and, really, you are not sacrificing much. I realize the perception is not the best, but the reality is that the much of Southeast Colorado Springs offers great housing options and friendly communities.
Are you ready to take a second look at Southeast Colorado Springs? Let’s schedule a time to meet and chat. Also, if you haven’t read my other articles in the Colorado Springs Neighborhoods Series, you can read them here (also subscribe to receive my blog via email as I continue with my series):
- Northwest Colorado Springs
- Woodmen-Powers Corridor
- Downtown and The Old North End
- Central Colorado Springs
Homes for Sale in the South East of Colorado Springs
Homes for Sale in Colorado Springs Zip Code 80910, 80915, 80916
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Homes for Sale in Colorado Springs Zip Code 80915
Homes for Sale in Colorado Springs Zip Code 80916