Have you ever heard of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). It was passed to help active duty military members and alleviate some of the stress placed on their families. It allows Servicemembers to suspend certain civil obligations so they can devote their full attention to their military duties.
Over the next few blog posts I will go into a little more detail HOW you are protected with this relief act. It’s certainly not, that you have to know everything, just know that there is help out there for you.
Do you qualify for the protection of the SCRA? You will have to simply answer any of these question with a yes:
*Are you an active duty Servicemember in the Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps or Navy?
*Are you a reservist in active federal Service?
*Are you a National Guard member in active federal Service?
*Are you a dependent of Servicemembers on active duty (certain benefits only)
What kind of relief does SCRA provide?
*Interest rates are may be capped at 6%
*Temporary relief from mortgage payments
*Protection from eviction
*Stay of judicial procedings
In other blog posts I’d like to explain more about this SCRA – it’s helped a lot of Servicemembers and it’s good to have an idea on what your rights are if you get in a pickle.
For all your legal questions find your closest legal office here
*Affidavit: Is a written declaration made under oath before a person legally authorized to administer an oath. You can go to you JAG office get it done or to find out WHERE you can get
* Default Judgement: Binding judgement in favor of the plaintiff when the defendant fails to respond to a claim or comply with court orders.
* Plaintiff: person serving a complaint in a court of law (against you)
* Defendant: person being sued or accused.
* Execution: It’s the process of enforcing a court sentence or order.
* Stay of Execution: Order to temporarily stop a judgement from being carried out.
* Stay of Proceedings: Order to stop the judicial process temporarily or indefinitely.
As always contact me if you have any questions about the real estate market here in Colorado Springs, or if I may help you buy or sell your home: