Sooner or later you will have items that should not go into your household waste and with that into the local landfills of Colorado Springs. Think about how Red Rock Canyon Open Space was until a few years ago a landfill – and how hazardous waste will/would influence this beautiful area.
In El Paso County the location to drop off hazardous waste is at Household Hazardous Waste Facility, 3255 Akers Drive.
View Larger Map
Though dropping off items is free for El Paso and Teller County residents a donation of non-perishable food item for Care and Share is enouraged.
If you go to drop off items, make sure that the containers are not leaking and that they are labeled.
Your items have to be unloaded without staff assistance!
- All Batteries are recyclable now. Car batteries HAVE to be recycled and CANNOT go into the trash.
- Common Household Products: Paint, stains, solvents, lawn and Garden, automotive (except tires)
- Electronic Waste: Computers, Printers, scanners, VCR’s (!) and so on
- Mercury Facts
- Used Motor Oil : Did you know, that motor oil, never wears out, it just gets dirty. Oil can be recycled, re-refined and used again.
- Single Stream Recycling
- Toilet and Porcelain Recycling (the website points out that the toilet seat has to be removed from toilets you want to recycle)
If an item isn’t mentioned here that you are looking to recycle download the Recycle Directory. You’ll find recycling stations and businesses that will take specialty items.
Western Scrap in Colorado Springs will pay you for certain items – they buy and sell all forms of ferrous, non-ferrous, fiber and electronics, no required minimums, they buy all materials on a pound by pound basis.
Yard Waste makes up to 18% of yearly waste taken to landfills, keep them out of there – they are a valuable resource if properly recycled and treated.
Do not throw away building materials, home interior items, plumbing, windows and so on! Donate those items to the ReStore – your donations will be sold and all funds will benefit Habitat for Humanity.
411 South Wahsatch Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80903